By Kiri Masters
Have you ever been in a thrift store or at a yard sale and spotted a unique, one-of-a-kind lamp, only to discover that it doesn’t work?
With this comprehensive DIY guide, you will learn how to re-wire, refinish, and refurbish old and vintage lamps into their original glory, or re-imagine them into something even better.
In “Old Lamps, New Life”, you will learn how to refurbish lamps safely and correctly, what makes a good candidate for a lamp re-do, as well as how to look beyond the current state of a lamp and see its full vintage potential. You will also get access to the techniques experts use to restore the cosmetic elements of a lamp to its former glory - or give it a total makeover.
“Old Lamps, New Life” is a 30+ page e-book with everything you need to know to take apart and rewire a broken lamp. There are 6 chapters which teach you safety tips, universal lamp components, dis-assembly, re-wiring, and refinishing ideas. Even better, all the techniques are illustrated with detailed diagrams and process photos.
Actionable DIY Tips
• How to take apart an old lamp and put it back together
• How to rewire a lamp without electrocuting yourself
• How to rewire lamps with multiple sockets
• How to replace a damaged lamp shade in a snap
• How to refurbish vintage lamps and give them a modern look
• How to refinish wood lamps and make them look like new
• How to do a full lamp makeover, from rewiring to making a new lamp shade
• How to repair thrift store lamps and refurbish delicate materials, like glass, brass and metal
• How to strip the electrical wiring on a lamp
Examples of Use
The second half of the book includes real before & after lamp projects, which you can use for inspiration with your own DIY projects.
• How to rewire a clip-on desk lamp
• How to primp and polish brass lamps
• How to paint brass lamps
• How to update wood & milk glass lamps
• How to tie an underwriter’s knot to rewire a lamp base
With “Old Lamps, New Life”, DIY lamp lovers and crafters will receive additional valuable content in the form of video demonstrations to compliment the written and pictorial tutorials within the book. Some of these lamp-making techniques are best learnt by watching, then doing, and once you've watched them, you should be able to repeat each step with confidence. You get access to the following bonus content:
Video demonstrations include:
• How to take apart a lamp (and be confident that you can put it back together)
• How to rewire and refresh a vintage glass lamp
• Make money by selling refurbished lamps
• A reference section includes a list of suppliers and additional resources, plus a glossary of all the technical terms you might come across as you get started.
• Tools and materials you need to get started
• Things you must always do before and during a lamp refurbishing project
As soon as you start refurbishing a few of your own lamps, you’ll discover how easy it can be to turn trash into treasure. The very same techniques can be used to restore sad, forgotten lamps and sell them to people who love the vintage look.
Discover how to scout for inventory at the thrift store or yard sales, and turn your new hobby into a profit by restoring lamps and selling them!
•Disassembling with confidence. Learn how to take any lamp apart (and be sure you can put it back together again!)
•Pricing & profits. How to price your products competitively and profitably
•Sourcing. Where to find affordable inventory
•Venues. Where to sell your goods, both offline and online
Kiri Masters is the owner and founder of I Like That Lamp. After years of taking lamps apart and putting them back together, she decided to pour all of her DIY lamp-making knowledge into a comprehensive e-book to help fellow lamp lovers rewire and refurbish their beautiful old lamps.
With “Old Lamps, New Life”, Kiri aims to empower fellow lamp lovers with the know-how to make their own custom lighting projects so they won't have to settle for the limited selection of lighting available in stores. Not only is it possible to make a lamp you truly love, it's also fast, easy, and a fraction of the cost of designer lighting!